Saturday 25 January 2014

Ah, sugar sugar...

Go on, play this while you read - I know you want to...

The sugar debate has raised its head with a vengeance in this first month of 2014 - in the UK there are newspaper articles, documentaries and blog posts all shocked and appalled at how much sugar is in our food!

Here's a typically hysterical Daily Mail article about a woman who changed her child's diet to be more healthy and discovered they were eating more sugar than before! The first thing you might notice is that they still eat a lot of processed foods. The second thing is that she serves Special K Oats and Honey cereal... The last time I checked, honey was sugar!!

Here are my top observations about sugar: (by the way, I hope you're still singing along... I am!)

  • After being on a heavily sugar-restricted diet for medical reasons, the two things I can no longer bear to eat are Heinz Tomato Soup and Kit Kats. They are both far too sweet.
  • Sugar can be an addiction, but you can also wean yourself off it. 
  • The energy slump you experience after eating sugar usually has you reaching for more sugar, but if you eat a protein/fat based snack, such as nuts or a boiled egg, you will be sated for longer.
  • Low fat versions of common foods (such as yoghurt and cottage cheese) tend to have higher levels of sugar, when actually those foods are not high fat so there's really no need to choose a low fat version. These foods rely on added sugar to preserve the taste, texture and flavour.
  • Fat is not the enemy - our body needs fat, approximately 20 - 30% of your daily calories should come from fat. Current research suggests we need a certain amount of saturated fat too, and a couple of years ago that was a big no-no. 
If you're concerned about your sugar consumption, or you've been trying to lose weight without success, take a closer look at the food labels - a couple of strategic changes might make a big difference.

Note: sugar in fruit is not a problem, because the sugar is bound into the fibre of the fruit so it releases more slowly than the quick hit of a chocolate bar or cake. If you can't give up cake, consider making your own and experimenting with using less sugar than the recipe suggests!


13 comments:

  1. Sugar. I love it. I hate it. The thorn in my body's fluffy side. I need to do better with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have that love-hate thing going on as well.

      Delete
  2. Very nice blog and articles. I am realy very happy to visit your blog. Now I am found which I actually want. I check your blog everyday and try to learn something from your blog. Thank you and waiting for your new post. best deadlift shoes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Carbohydrates incorporate grew grain bread, rice spelt, millet, quinoa, yam with a little margarine and cinnamon, and all products of the soil are acceptable to go(the great fiber that are in the foods grown from the ground will really assist you with consuming fat quicker). fitnessbond

    ReplyDelete
  4. Numerous gyms have a mechanical preferred position - the game plan of the pulleys imply that you can lift 90kgs of weight with just 60kg of exertion. free tiktok video download

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will always let you and your words become part of my day because you never know how much you make my day happier and more complete. There are even times when I feel so down but I will feel better right after checking your blogs. You have made someone write my assignment me feel so good about myself all the time and please know that I do appreciate everything that you have

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this best stuff with us! Keep sharing! I am new in the blog writing.All types blogs and posts are not helpful for the readers.Here the author is giving good thoughts and suggestions to each and every readers through dissertation assistance companies this article.Quality of the content is the main element of the blog and this is the way of writing and presenting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning site! Do you have any accommodating clues for trying essayists? I’m wanting to begin my own site soon yet I’m somewhat lost on everything. Would you prompt paper writing service beginning with a free stage like or go for a paid alternative? There are such a large number of alternatives out there that I’m totally overpowered .. Any thoughts? Welcome it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is one of the main reasons that I am very much interested in knowing the history of the things. As most of the time their names are greatly related with their history. Also sometimes you can realize the importance of the thing just by knowing its paper writing service name like this one here shows its importance by its name that is “cure all”.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I believe this will help your website become more organized because you have decided to set a part on this site for the inquiries regarding tax and as well as the helpful discussions. To be honest, this is one of the few sites that are doing this kind of strategy. Also, I think that this will not only benefit your clients or the assignment helper potential ones but you most especially because you will be able to see the questions easier.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that thanks for the valuabe information and insights you have so provided here. Landscaping services Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that thanks for the valuabe information and insights you have so provided here. persian rugs for sale

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love significantly your own post! I look at all post is great. I discovered your personal content using bing search. Discover my webpage is a great one as you.I work to create several content this post. Once more you can thank you and keep it create! Enjoy! Persian Carpets

    ReplyDelete