Tuesday 3 January 2012

An experiment

Hello.

I'm The Gym Instructor - mostly because thinking up blog names is quite difficult.

I've started this blog as an experiment, to hone my non-fiction writing skills. I plan to keep this blog for six months or so, and then make a decision on its future.

Apart from being a real-life gym instructor, I'm a writer, and I blog here. This week, I wrote this post which sparked the idea for a whole new blog. Not only did I realise that I couldn't write everything I wanted to about diets in one post, I also had lots of other things I could share.

This morning, while watching BBC Breakfast, there was an interview with a woman who advocated detox as a really good thing. She stated that your liver needed a break from all the toxins you're putting into it, that you should totally avoid gluten, wheat and dairy. I didn't take notice of the rest, not only because I wasn't thinking about writing a post about it at the time, but because I was shouting loudly at the screen. (I do that - it makes me feel better in the face of people trying to make money out of desperate people.)

So that's why this blog is here. I hope that I'll be able to give straight-forward information and advice, and I look forward to meeting you all.

Oh, by the way, detoxes are unnecessary because your liver is designed to filter toxins from the body - that's its job. Your body probably feels more stress under a binge/purge cycle than if you were to enjoy food and/or alcohol moderately with a couple of days off each week.

See, common sense!

4 comments:

  1. Can't wait for the next instalment

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for following - you're the first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea - I really enjoyed your blogpost about dieting. Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Linda - I'd forgotten how difficult it is to start a blog and get the tone and feel right. There might be some hiccups!

    ReplyDelete